Monday, October 1, 2012

Day One of Open World

I arrived in San Francisco at about 11 am local time on Sunday September 29, grabbed my luggage and jumped in a cab to make to my first co-presentation, "VM Experts Panel" at 12:30 at Moscone West. Immediately following the VM Experts panel, was my second presentation, " Database Performance Tuning: Get the Best out of Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control" with Tariq Farooq and Rich Niemiec. Both presentations were well attended with standing room only for the second.

After finishing the second presentation I checked into my hotl, but only had a half hour before I had to get back to the Moscone center for the opening day Keynote. Fujitsu's Corporate SVP Noriyuki Toyuki opened the Keynote with Fujitsu's vision of the future heavily pushing cloud initiatives with their smart cities and agricultural and medical applications.

The final half of the Keynote was all Oracle CEO Larry Ellison with Ellison making the first announcement of the IaaS (infrastructure as as service) initiative from Oracle were they will provide you with equipment either hosted or on your site and only charge you for what CPU and other resources you actually use. Larry also hinted that there will be new changes to the Exadata line of products "eliminating IO latency" look for something involving SUN SSD PCIe cards or form factor SSDs in the Exadata storage cells would be my guess.

Following the keynote I had to run to catch the bus, which I missed, and ended up taking a taxi, to the ACE dinner at the St Francis Yacht Club and finished the evening with a rousing political debate with my friend Steven Feuerstein. Needless to say I ended up going to sleep at 10 pm local time after an exhausting but rewarding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment