Friday, May 18, 2012

Complete Information

A man wanted to hire a fruit picker. He went down to the local general store and inquired after available locals who would be willing to work hard and help get in his fruit. One old fella at the store told him about a man he used that was 10 times faster than the one he used before. Thinking "Boy! Ten times faster! I'll pay much less and get my fruit in just as fast!" Well, he hired the picker and discovered to his dismay that he wasn't any faster than pickers he had used before. Disgusted he went back to give the old timer a piece of his mind. The old timer explained, "Yep, he was ten times faster than my previous picker, of course my previous picker was 90 years old with arthritis!"

The purpose of the above illustration is just to stress that unless you know what it is that something is being compared to, you have no way to know if what you are being told makes sense or not. A case in point, whenever I do a presentation comparing performance, I always give the configuration used for both the before and after systems. By showing both the before and after systems the attendees or readers or viewers know exactly what I am comparing. Usually if at all possible I try to make the only difference be the thing I am trying to compare, for example, a hard drive based configuration verses and SSD one. In that case I would make sure I used the same or identical servers, memory and CPU as well the same interface and make sure that both systems where matched as far as storage capacity and bandwidth. It is the only fair way to compare two systems.

If I wanted to I could show statistics proving the TMS SSDs ran hundreds of times faster. Of course faster than what I wouldn't say. If I compared to a 2-CPU single core machine with 64 MB of memory running against a 5 disk RAID5 array of 7500 RPM drives capable of 1 Gb/s bandwidth and 1000 IOPS and 5 ms latency and then ran the comparison against a 8 CPU, 8 core per CPU machine with 2 Terabytes of memory and a RamSan630 with 10-4 Gb/s interfaces and 1,000,000 IOPS with 0.110 ms latency as the storage how much improved do you think the performance would be. I wouldn't be lying to you, but I would be omitting some critical details!

Now to the meat of it, I have attended many Exadata presentations and read many of the Exadata white papers. In all of the presentations and all of the whitepapers where they give their 5X, 10X, 26X times improvement comparisons they never tell you what the prior server setup contained. They aren't giving us the tools to be able to draw a fair conclusion from the information given. Come on Oracle, play fair! Show the before and after configurations so we can be the judge if it was a fair comparison or not. If a client is going from a resource constrained environment to one that is over provisioned for every resource (memory, CPU and IO) then naturally you will get significant performance improvements, if you don't then something is really wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment