Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day Three of Collaborate 2012

Well, at the half-way point of day three here at the booth. I just finished at the Virtualization SIG Expert panel. Day two was interesting in that the keynote by Oracle CIO Mark Sunday talking about how Oracle handles IT transformation internally. Since Oracle absorbs several companies a year (sometimes it seems per day!) the ability to rapidly absorb the best parts of their products, structures and capabilities is a vital component of how Oracle moves ahead. Interestingly enough he used the comparison I used for the Exadata with Oracle as the Borg (for those non-trekies the Borg are a race of half-machine-have sentient beings that absorb other civilizations by injecting them with nano-bots that convert them into Borgs, very appropo eh?) here is the slide I use in my Exadata: A Critical Review presentation:



So I had to laugh a little when he said the very same thing that Oracle was like the Borg.

Of the entire keynote I found the closing ten points list the most interesting. I wish I would have jotted them down, but the one that stuck with me most was that you can recover from a poor decision but not from no-decision. Actually I have always found the people who won't make a decision are actually using passive aggression to force you to make a decision for them so they will have no culpability should the decision go bad.

Tomorrow I participate in the closing session debate about the pros and cons of Exadata, should be an interesting time!

No comments:

Post a Comment